Sunday, January 03, 2010

Goodbye 2009.....Hello 2010!

What a whirlwind of a year! In fact, as I think of all that happened in the last 365 days, I can hardly imagine that it all occurred last. So, I think I will take a few minutes to reflect back on all of the events.

1. Finishing my Gastroenterology Fellowship. It has now been 10 years after college that I have spent attending medical school, completing internship/residency, and finally completing a fellowship in my sub-speciality. And, on June 30th, I finally finished! Actually, I didn't even make it to June 30th because I took the last few days off. It was a tough road, filled with many long days and nights, numerous sacrifices, and obviously much debt! But, now I get to do exactly what I set out to do since college. Well, almost. I dropped the hepatology part and kept just the gastroenterology part. Endoscopies, colonoscopies, small bowel enteroscopies.....here I come!
New Year 2010
2. Spending a Month in Bali. Ok, it was planned on a whim after Robin Leach broke my heart. I wanted to escape the world and indeed I did. Within a week of ending it with him, I booked a house on the beach complete with a maid, cook, gardener, houseboy, and driver and a business class ticket to Bali. Maybe the idea came from reading Eat, Pray, Love and realizing I need to reclaim a part of my life that had obviously disappeared in my relationship; maybe it came from sitting with Roger Hayes one night while he told me about all the deals to Southeast Asia. Regardless, I invited Roger (who happened to be my only unemployed friend at the time who could take 35 days off) and we have a great adventure. Bali, I am definitely going back....SOON!

3. Starting in Private Practice. If you think residency/fellowship is bad, just start in a busy private practice. The hours are much longer, the responsibility is much more, and the call days/nights are much busier. But, the pay is MUCH better! I couldn't ask for better partners or a better practice. And to think I seriously considered going with Robin to Virginia...I must have been out of my mind!

4. Passing my GI Boards. I knew I would pass and be board certified for 10 years. But, I kept dreading that off chance that I would actually screw them up and have to face my fellowship director (who happens to be one of my partners) every day for the next year in disgrace.

5. Moving on in Love. One night over sangria, I finally blew up on Robin and asked him to leave. I mean, if you cannot commit after 3.5 years, you will NEVER commit. In fact, I suspect the same thing happened in his last relationship. The crazy thing is that he left about half of his belongings at my place. Still to this day they are all crammed in my guest closet (clothes, books, shoes, crystal glasses, Wii, etc). Goodwill is about to be very happy! But, I will leave it up to my readers as to what I should do with his stuff.

6. Ms. Fabulous is Now Mrs. Fabulous. Though I missed the wedding, our own Ms. Fabulous had a fabulous Indian wedding at the Four Seasons here in Dallas. Now that I am back experiencing a fabulous single life in Dallas, I am definitely going to miss my partner-in-crime.

7. Saying F*%K You to Bank of America. After being raped with 29.9% interest for most of my training, it was a relief to pay off all of the credit card debt. When asked why I was closing my account at Bank of America, all I could say was, "Isn't it obvious? Do you really expect me to keep an account with an interest rate like that?" They offered to lower it, but I have now shifted all of my business to American Express. Who would have guessed that American Express was the only reasonable company in the credit card industry.

(more to come. I am on call tonight and have to go to hospital!)

No comments: